- Episode Transcript
- End Times: Elites, Counter Elites, and the Path of Political Disintegration, by Peter Turchin
- Historical Dynamics: Why States Rise and Fall, by Peter Turchin
- War and Peace and War: The Rise and Fall of Empires, by Peter Turchin
- Ultrasociety: How 10,000 Years of War Made Humans the Greatest Cooperators on Earth, by Peter Turchin
- The True Believer, by Eric Hoffer
Peter Turchin is a complexity scientist who works in the field of historical social science that he and his colleagues call Cliodynamics. His research interests lie at the intersection of social and cultural evolution, historical macrosociology, economic history and cliometrics, mathematical modeling of long-term social processes, and the construction and analysis of historical databases. Currently his main research effort is directing the Seshat Databank project (and its offshoot, CrisisDB) which builds and analyzes a massive historical database that enables us to empirically test predictions from theories attempting to explain why and how complex human societies evolved, and why they periodically experience political breakdown.